Jeremy Purcell, Ph.D.
After obtaining a B.S. in physiology and psychology at Michigan State University (MSU) in 2003, Jeremy worked for 2 years as a research assistant for Dr. Andrea Bozoki in the department of neurology at MSU. The main focus of the research ongoing in the lab was to use functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging (fMRI) to better characterize abnormal neural activity associated with memory in Alzheimer's disease patients. In the summer of 2005 Jeremy entered the graduate Interdisciplinary Program in Neuroscience (IPN) at Georgetown University and began studying under Dr. Eden in CSL in the summer of 2006. The focus of his dissertation research was to use fMRI-Adaptation paradigms to determine if the same neuronal populations used to read words are also used to spell words. Jeremy completed his Ph.D. in 2012 and is currently a post-doctoral fellow in Dr. Brenda Rapp's lab at Johns Hopkins University.
- Purcell, J.J., Napoliello, E.M., Eden, G.F. (2011). A Combined fMRI Study of Typed Spelling and Reading. NeuroImage, 15;55(2):750-62.
- Purcell, J.J., Turkeltaub, P.E., Eden, G.F., Rapp, R. (2011). Examining the central and peripheral processes of written word production through meta-analysis. Frontiers in Language Sciences, 2:239.
- Jeremy J. Purcell, Eileen M. Napoliello, Xiong Jiang and Guinevere F. Eden, "Shared neural representations for word reading and spelling in the VWFA" Society for Neuroscience/Neurobiology of Language Conference 2010
- Jeremy J. Purcell, Eileen M. Napoliello and Guinevere F. Eden, "Functional neuroanatomical co-localization for reading and spelling: An fMRI study" Society for Neuroscience/Neurobiology of Language Conference 2009
- Alexis M. Jeannotte, Ana Pocivavsek, Monika S. Mellem, Jeremy J. Purcell, "Neuroethics Forum: An intellectual community at the intersection of neuroscience and society." Society for Neuroscience Conference 2008
- Amber M. Leaver, Mark A. Chevillet, Laurent Renier, Jeremy Purcell, Josef P. Rauschecker, "Visualization of multiple tonotopic fields in human auditory cortex." Tinnitus Conference 2007
- Amber M. Leaver, Laurent Renier, Jeremy Purcell, M. Costanzo, A. Fieger, S. Morgan, H.J. Kim, J.P. Rauschecker "Auditory Cortical Map Plasticity in Tinnitus" Society for Neuroscience Conference 2006
- Jeremy J. Purcell, Andrea Bozoki, Rose Zacks, Mark Delano, Laura L. Symonds, "Brain regions associated with correct identification of old and new stimuli" Cognitive Neuroscience Society Conference 2005
- Andrea Bozoki, Jeremy Purcell, Mark Delano, Laura Symonds, "Comparison of slow and fast presentation rate in event-related fMRI," Human Brain Mapping Conference 2004
- Andrea Bozoki, Jeremy Purcell, Mark Delano, Laura Symonds, "Event-related FMRI of visual encoding and recognition," Cognitive Neuroscience Society Conference 2004