Tanya Evans (nee Gerner), B.S.
Tanya graduated with a B.S. in Chemical Engineering from Lehigh University in 2003. She subsequently spent time as a research assistant in both industry (Akzo Nobel Inc.) and academic (University of Delaware) settings. As a tutor, she developed and implemented customized academic enrichment programs in mathematics and science at middle school to graduate school levels.
Tanya entered the Interdisciplinary Program in Neuroscience at Georgetown University in 2007. Under the mentorship of Dr. Guinevere Eden, her thesis research explored (1) the anatomical differences in females with dyslexia, (2) the neural substrates for the developmental trajectory of numerical representation and reading, and (3) the brain basis of calculation in children with dyslexia. Tanya received her PhD in Neuroscience in May 2013 and began as a postdoctoral fellow at the Stanford Cognitive and Systems Neuroscience Laboratory, in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at the Stanford University School of Medicine in June 2013. Under the mentorship of Dr. Vinond Menon, Tanya is continuing her work in numerical processing.
- Evans, T.M., Flowers, D.L., Napoliello, E.M., Eden, G.F. (2014). Functional neuroanatomy of arithmetic and word reading and its relationship to age. Neuroimage, 143(1):304-15.
- Evans, T.M., Flowers, D.L., Napoliello, E.M., Olulade, O.A., Eden, G.F. (2014). The functional anatomy of single-digit arithmetic in children with developmental dyslexia. Neuroimage, 101(1):644-52.
- Evans, T.M., Flowers, D.L., Napoliello, E.M., Eden, G.F. (2014). Sex-specific gray matter volume differences in females with developmental dyslexia. Brain Structure and Function, 219(3):1041-54.
- Gerner, T.M., Wall, A.E., Napoliello, E.M., Flowers, D.L., Eden G.F. (2008) The anatomical profile of dyslexic females: a voxel-based morphometry study. Society for Neuroscience. Abstract.
- Eden, G.F., Olulade, O.A., Evans, T.M., Krafnick, A.J., Alkire, D.R. (2016). Developmental dyslexia. In G. Hickok and S. Small (Eds.), Neurobiology of Language. Elsevier: Oxford, UK.
- Eden, G.F., Olulade, O.A., Evans, T.M., Krafnick, A.J., Alkire, D.R. (2015). Imaging studies of reading and reading disability. In A.W. Toga (Ed.), Brain Mapping: An Encyclopedic Reference. Elsevier: Oxford, UK.