Chandan Vaidya, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Department of Psychology
B.A. -- Bombay University, 1984, Psychology
M.S. -- Syracuse University, 1989, Developmental Psychology
Ph.D -- Syracuse University, 1992, Developmental Psychology
Dr. Vaidya received her post-doctoral training in Cognitive Neuroscience from Stanford University. She is currently the director of the Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience Lab at Georgetown. Her research aims at characterizing the neurobiological basis of cognitive control. She links behavior to brain by using paradigms from experimental psychology to isolate
cognitive processes in healthy individuals. She then applies these paradigms to patients with disorders of cognitive processes due to lesions, degenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's, or developmental disorders such as Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging (fMRI) is then used to image these cognitive processes in the brain. These sources of evidence constrain each other in important ways and offer a convergent view of the neurobiological
basis of cognition that is informative not only to the basic cognitive scientist but also to the clinical practitioner, whether it be for diagnosis or intervention. For instance, using pharmacological fMRI, she found that improvements in attention and methylphenidate were related to distinct brain responses in children diagnosed with ADHD relative to healthy children. These findings suggest dopaminergic dysfunction in ADHD, and may be useful in the development of biologically valid
diagnostic criteria for that disorder.
- Demb, J. B., Desmond, J. E., Wagner, A. D., Vaidya, C. J., Glover, G. H., and Gabrieli, J. D. E. (1995). Semantic encoding and retrieval in the left inferior prefrontal cortex: A functional MRI study of task difficulty and process specificity. Journal of Neuroscience, 15, 5870-5878.
- Vaidya, C. J., Gabrieli, J. D. E., Keane, M. M., and Monti, L. A. (1995). Perceptual and conceptual memory processes in global amnesia. Neuropsychology, 4, 580-591.
- Gabrieli, J. D. E., Desmond, J. E., Demb, J. B., Wagner, A. D., Stone, M. V., Vaidya, C. J., & Glover, G. H. (1996). Functional magnetic resonance imaging of semantic memory processes in the frontal lobes. Psychological Science, 7, 278-283.
- Verfaellie, M., Gabrieli, J. D. E., Vaidya, C. J., Croce, P. & Reminger, S. L. (1996). Implicit memory for pictures in amnesia: role of etiology and priming task. Neuropsychology, 10, 517-528.
- Vaidya, C. J., Gabrieli, J. D. E., Demb, J. B., Keane, M. M., and Wetzel, L. C. (1996). Impaired priming on the general knowledge task in amnesia. Neuropsychology, 10, 529-537.
- Fleischman, D. A., Vaidya, C. J., Lange, K. L., and Gabrieli, J. D. E. (1997). A dissociation between visuoperceptual explicit and implicit memory processes. Brain and Cognition, 35, 42-57.
- Vaidya, C. J., Gabrieli, J. D. E., Keane, M. M., Monti, L. A., Gutierrez-Rivas, H., and Zarella, M. M. (1997). Evidence for multiple mechanisms of conceptual priming on implicit memory tests. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, & Cognition, 23, 1324-1343.
- Vaidya, C. J., Gabrieli, J. D. E., Verfaellie, M., Fleischman, D., & Askari, N. Font- specific priming following global amnesia and occipital lobe damage. (1998). Neuropsychology, 12, 1-10.
- Stone, M., Ladd, S. L., Vaidya, C. J., & Gabrieli, J. D. E. (1998). Word identification priming for ignored and attended words. Consciousness and Cognition: An International Journal, 7, 238-258.
- Vaidya, C. J., Austin, G., Kirkorian, G., Ridlehuber, H. W., Desmond, J. E., Glover, G. H., & Gabrieli, J. D. E. (1998). Selective effects of methylphenidate in Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder: A functional magnetic resonance study. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 95, 14494-14499.
- Fleischman, D. A., Gabrieli, J. D. E., Reminger, S., Vaidya, C. J., & Benett, D. A. (1998). Object decision priming in Alzheimer's disease. Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society, 4, 435-446.
- Klingberg, T., Vaidya, C. J., Gabrieli, J. D. E., Moseley, M. E., & Hedehus, M. (1999). Myelination and organization of the frontal white matter in children: A diffusion tensor MRI study. NeuroReport, 10, 2817-2821.
- Vaidya, C. J. and Gabrieli, J. D. E. (1999). Searching for a neurobiological signature of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. Molecular Psychiatry, 4, 206-208.
- Gabrieli, J. D. E., Brewer, J., and Vaidya, C. J. (1999). Memory. In Textbook of Neurology (Eds. C. Goetz and E. J. Pappert, pp. 56-69). W. B. Saunders Company: Orlando, Florida.
- Gabrieli, J. D. E., Vaidya, C. J., Stone, M., Francis, W. S., Thompson- Schill, S. L., Fleischman, D. A., Tinkelberg, J. R., Yesavage, J. A., & Wilson, R. S. (1999). The role of attention in repetition priming: Convergent behavioral and neuropsychological evidence. Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, 128, 479-498.
- Vaidya, C. J., Gabrieli, J. D. E., Monti, L. A., Tinklenberg, J. R., & Yesavage, J. A. (1999). Dissociation between two forms of conceptual priming in Alzheimer's disease. Neuropsychology, 13, 516-524.
- Vaidya, C. J., & Gabrieli, J. D. E. (2000). Picture superiority in conceptual memory: Dissociative effects of encoding and retrieval tasks. Memory & Cognition, 28, 1165-1172.
- Marie, A., Gabrieli, J.D., Vaidya, C.J., Brown, B., Pratto, F., Zajonc, R.B., & Shaw, R.J. (2001). The mere exposure effect in patients with schizophrenia.Schizophrenia Bulletin, 27(2), 297-303.
- Bunge, S.A., Dudukovic. N.M., Thomason, M.E., Vaidya, C.J. & Gabrieli, J.D.E. (2002). Immature frontal lobe contributions to cognitive control in children: Evidence from fMRI. Neuron, 33, 301-311.
- Vaidya, C. J., Zhao, M., Desmond, J. E., & Gabrieli, J. D. E. (2002). Evidence for cortical encoding specificity in episodic memory: Memory- induced re-activation of picture processing areas. Neuropsychologia, 40(12), 2136-2143.
- Vaidya, C. J. (2002). Application of pharmacological fMRI to developmental psychiatric disorders. Developmental Science, (3), 310-317.
- Gabrieli JDE, Preston AR, Brewer J, and Vaidya (2003). Memory. In: Goetz C, Pappert EJ (eds.), In: Textbook of Neurology 2nd Edition. Orlando, Florida: W. B. Saunders Company 56-69.
- Howard JH, Jr., Howard DV, Dennis NA, Yankovich H, and Vaidya (2004). Implicit spatial contextual learning in healthy aging. Neuropsychology 18: 124-134.
- Vaidya, C.J., Bunge S.A., Dudukovic N.M., Zalecki C.A., Elliott G.R., and Gabrieli J.D.E. (in press). Altered neural substrates of cognitive control in childhood ADHD: Evidence from functional magnetic resonance imaging. American Journal of Psychiatry.
- Berl M.M., Vaidya C.J., and Gaillard W.D. (in press). Functional imaging of developmental and adaptive changes in neurocognition. Neuroimage.
- Vaidya, C.J., Huger, M., Howard, D.V., & Howard, J.H. (2007). Developmental differences in implicit learning of spatial context.Neuropsychology, 21(4), 497-506.
- Gaillard, W.D., Berl, M.M., Moore, E.N., Ritzl, E.K., Rosenberger, L.R., Weinstein, S.L., Conry, J.A., Pearl, P.L., Ritter, F.F., Sato, S., Vezina, L.G.,Vaidya, C.J., Wiggs, E., Fratalli, C., Risse, G., Ratner, N.B., Gioia, G., Theodore, W.H. (2007). Atypical Language in Lesional and Non-lesional Complex Partial Epilepsy. Neurology, 69(18), 1761-1771.
- Barnes, K.A., Kaplan, L. Vaidya, C.J. (2007). Developmental differences in cognitive control of socio-affective processing. Developmental Neuropsychology, 32(3), 787-807.
- Lee, P.S., Foss-Feig, J., Henderson, J. G., Kenworthy, L. E., Gilotty, L., Gaillard, W.D. & Vaidya, C.J. (2007). Atypical neural substrates of Embedded Figures Task performance in children with Autism Spectrum Disorders. NeuroImage, 38(1), 184-193
- Eden, G.F. and Vaidya, C. (2008). ADHD and dyslexia: neural basis and treatment. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 1145:316-27.
- Barnes, K.A., Howard, J.H. Jr., Howard, D.V., Gilotty, L., Kenworthy, L., Gaillard, W.D., & Vaidya, C.J. (2008). Intact implicit learning of spatial context and temporal sequences in childhood Autism Spectrum Disorder.Neuropsychology, 22, 563-570.
- Lee, P.S., Yerys, B.E., Della Rosa, A., Foss-Feig, J., Barnes, K.A., James, J.D., VanMeter, J.W., Gaillard, W.D., Vaidya, C.J., & Kenworthy, L. (2009). Functional connectivity of the inferior frontal cortex changes with age in children with autism spectrum disorders: Evidence from an fMRI study of response inhibition. Cerebral Cortex, 19(8), 1787-1794.
- Hirst, W., Phelps, E.A., Buckner, R.L., Budson, A.E., Gabrieli, J.D. E., Johnson, M.K., Lyle, K.B., Lustig, C., Mather, M., Mitchell, K.J., Meksin, R., Ochsner, K.N., Schacter, D.L., Simons, J.S., Vaidya, C.J. (2009). The long-term retention of the terrorist attack of September 11: Flashbulb memories, memories for flashbulb events, and the factors that influence their retention.Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, 138(2): 161-76 [Authors alphabetical after first two].
- Yerys, B., Janowski, K.F., Shook, D., Rosenberger, L., Barnes, K.A., Berl, M. M., Ritzl, E.K., VanMeter, J., Vaidya, C.J., & Gaillard, W.D. (2009). The fMRI success rate of children and adolescents: typical development, epilepsy, attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder, and autism spectrum disorders. Human Brain Mapping, 30(10), 3426-3435.
- Bennett, I.J., Madden, D.J., Vaidya, C.J., Howard, D.V., Howard, H.J. Jr (2010). Age-Related Differences in Multiple Measures of White Matter Integrity: A Diffusion Tensor Imaging Study of Healthy Aging. Human Brain Mapping, 31, 378-390.
- Barnes, K.A., Howard, J.H., Howard, D.V., Kenealy, L., Vaidya, C.J.(2010). Two forms of implicit learning in childhood ADHD. Developmental Neuropsychology, 35, 494-505.
- Berl, M.M., Duke, E.S., Mayo, J., Rosenberger, L.R., Moore, E.N., VanMeter, J., Ratner, N.B., Vaidya, C.J., & Gaillard, W.D. Functional anatomy of listening and reading comprehension during development (2010).Brain and Language, 114, 115-125.
- Stollstorff, M., Foss-Feig, J., Cook, E. H., Jr., Stein, M. A., Gaillard, W. D, &Vaidya, C. J. (2010). Neural response to working memory load varies by dopamine transporter genotype in children. Neuroimage, 53(3), 970-977.
- Bennett, I.J., Madden, D.J., Vaidya, C.J., Howard, J.H., & Howard, D.V. (2010). White matter integrity correlates of implicit sequence learning in healthy aging. Neurobiology of Aging, 32(12), 2317.e1-2317.e12.
- Schwartz, B.L., Vaidya, C.J., Howard, J.H., & Deutsch, S.I. (2010). Attention to Gaze and Emotion in Schizophrenia. Neuropsychology, 24(6), 711-720.
- Gordon, E.M., Lee, P.S., Maisog, J.M., Foss-Feig, J., Billington, M.E., VanMeter, J., & Vaidya, C.J. (2011). Strength of default mode resting state connectivity relates to white matter integrity in children. Developmental Science, 14(4), 738-51.
- Shook, D., Brady, C., Lee, P.S., Kenealy, L., Murphy, E.R., Gaillard, W.D., VanMeter, J.W., Cook, E., Stein, M.A., & Vaidya, C.J. (2011). Effect of dopamine transporter genotype on caudate volume in childhood ADHD and controls. American Journal of Medical Genetics Part B: Neuropsychiatric Genetics, 156, 28-35.
- Simon, J.R., Stollstorff, M., Westbay, L.C., Vaidya, C.J., Howard, J.H., & Howard, D.V. (2011). Dopamine transporter genotype predicts implicit sequence learning. Behavioural Brain Research, 216(1), 452-457.
- Vaidya, C.J., Foss-Feig, J., Shook, D., Kenworthy, L., & Gaillard, W.D. (2011). Controlling attention to gaze and arrows in childhood: an fMRI study of typical development and Autism Spectrum Disorders. Developmental Science, 14(4), 911-924.
- Gordon, E., Stollstorff, M., & Vaidya, C.J. (2012). Using spatial multiple regression to identify intrinsic connectivity networks involved in working memory performance. Human Brain Mapping, 33(7), 1536-1552.
- Simon, J. R., Vaidya, C. J., Howard, J. H., & Howard, D. V. (2012). The effects of aging on the neural basis of implicit associative learning in a probabilistic Triplets Learning Task. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience. 24(2), 451-63.
- Gordon, E.M., Stollstorff, M., Devaney, J.M., Bean, S., & Vaidya, C.J. (In press). Effect of dopamine transporter genotype on intrinsic functional connectivity depends on cognitive state. Cerebral Cortex. 2011 Nov 2 (Epub ahead of print).
- Stollstorff, M., Bean, S.E., Anderson, L.M., Devaney, J.M., & Vaidya, C.J.(In press). Rationality and emotionality: Serotonin transporter genotype influences reasoning bias. Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience. 2012 Jan 24 (Epub ahead of print).