Daniel Koo, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Psychology Department, Gallaudet University
B.A. -- University of Maryland, College Park, 1994, English and Sociology
M.A. -- Gallaudet University, 1997, Linguistics
M.A. -- University of Rochester, 2002, Brain and Cognitive Sciences
Ph.D. -- University of Rochester, 2003, Brain and Cognitive Sciences
Dr. Koo is currently an Associate Professor in the Department of Psychology at Gallaudet University. After receiving his Ph.D. in Brain and Cognitive Sciences from the University of Rochester in 2003, he did his post-doctoral fellowship at Georgetown University's Center for the Study of Learning. His research on the functional neuroanatomy of reading and phonological processes in deaf populations is ongoing and is currently funded by VL2. Dr. Koo is interested in how the visual language learning experience of deaf individuals shape their linguistic representations and processes. To effectively explore the interplay of communication modality and linguistic systems, he studies how deaf cuers and signers analyze and process their native linguistic input. His research interests include adult language processing of cued and signed languages, the effect of modality on language processing and cognition, and the acquisition of cued and signed languages.
Cognitive Psychology, Neuropsychology, Psycholinguistics, Cued Speech/Cued American English, American Sign Language
- Olulade, O.A., Jamal, N.I., Koo, D.S., Perfetti, C.A., LaSasso, C., Eden, G.F. (2016). Neuroanatomical evidence in support of the bilingual advantage theory. Cerebral Cortex, 26(7):3196-3204.
- Olulade, O.A., Koo, D.S., LaSasso, C.J., Eden, G.F. (2014). Neuroanatomical profiles of deafness in the context of native language experience. Journal of Neuroscience, 34(16):5613-20.
- Weisberg, J., Koo, D.S., Crain, K.L., Eden, G.F. (2012). Cortical plasticity for visuospatial processing and object recognition in deaf and hearing signers. Neuroimage, 60(1):661-72.
- Koo, D., Crain, K., LaSasso, C., Eden, G.F. (2008). Phonological awareness and short term memory in hearing and deaf individuals of different communication backgrounds. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 1145:83-99.
- Koo, D. (1997). Structure of determiners in American Sign Language. Gallaudet University. Communication Forum, 6.
- Koo, D., Ciancio, N., Garate, M., Hanlon, E. (1996). Second language learning of American Sign Language by Asian deaf students: Sociolinguistic influences on language production and attitudes. In L. Byers, M. Rose (Eds.) Gallaudet University Communication Forum, 5.
- Koo, D. (1994). Certification - It's not a luxury. RID Views, 11(6).
- Koo, D. (1994). Cued speech: What's the big deal? Volta Voices, 1(4).
- Koo, D.S., Maisog, J.M., LaSasso, C., Crain, K.L., Weisberg, J., Eden, G.F. (2006). Functional neuroanatomy of single word reading in deaf signers. Georgetown Office of Biomedical Graduate Education Student Research Days Annual Competition and Exposition.
- Weisberg J., Crain K.L., Koo D.S., Eden G.F. (2006). Object identification and location processing in deaf signers: An fMRI study. Georgetown Office of Biomedical Graduate Education Student Research Days Annual Competition and Exposition.